ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap


AC News WU News WF News HB News YHM News TW News CU News OU News

Team Wellington

Waikato FC


NZFC - Week 8,
Newtown Park, 
Sunday 20 December 2009


Roddy Brown 21
Trent Watson 80

Dan Peat 38



Halftime:  1-1           Referee: C.K. Waugh                               Crowd: 220


Team Wellington breathe easy

by David Cross at Newtown Park

Ten man Team Wellington snatched a playoff lifeline courtesy of a late Trent Watson header that leaves Waikato FC stuck firmly on the bottom of the NZFC.

"That will give us a lot of confidence, we've tried to be pretty and we were second bottom" said Team Wellington coach Stu Jacobs as his side came off with a hard fought, ten man win over the visiting Waikato FC side.

"It was a fiesty encounter but playing close to 60 minutes with ten men the boys showed a wee bit more than ability today.  That's what we've asked for, we need players that want to put Team Wellington out there as a front runner."

It was a day that could have ended differently if Waikato FC had turned some of the dominant periods they enjoyed into genuine scoring opportunities. 

Too often the visitors seemed determined to walk the ball into the net rather than shooting, and certainly in the first 15 minutes a goal or two would been a just reward for their efforts and endeavour while Team Wellington seemed to be ripe for the taking after a dismal start to the match.

The first goal of the day though, was to come from Team Wellington as Roddy Brown latched onto a ball and powered it in to the underside of the crossbar only for it to bounce out again.  Young Wellington referee Campbell-Kirk Waugh along with his assistant were in the right spots though and rightly awarded the goal.

Waikato continued to push forward looking for an equaliser, with first Che Bunce pushing an effort just wide and then a three man Waikato break was smothered by an advancing James Bannatyne.  This pressure paid off when just after the half hour mark the visiors were duly awarded a penalty.

While the ball had travelled to the sideline there was contact in the middle of the penalty area between Adam Birch and Joe Simpkins which left Simpkins on the ground and bleeding from a cut on his face. This had been spotted by the officials and Birch was sent from the field.  Simpkins troubles continued all match needing to leave the field three times for treatment and to change his shirt.

The resulting penalty was calmly converted by Dan Peat - his third goal of the season - a shot delivered straight down the middle as Bannatyne moved to his right.  This forced a change on Team Wellington in an effort to maintain a full defensive line and would prove crucial to the outcome of the match as striker Greg Draper was replaced by defender Trent Watson
The second half saw both teams create chances as tackles got wilder - Michael Gwyther had James Bannatyne at full stretch to tip a shot over from distance oand Waikato needed a goal line save from keeper Sean Dowling - then a second from right back Jason Chewins - to keep a Wellington corner out. 

Waikato sub Dan Keat returned for the home side at the half and went close when he broke down the right on to an excellent ball from Gary McDermott, only to miscue his shot wide of the goal and the advancing Dowling.

The final say in the game though was substitute Trent Watson's when in the 8oth minute a Team Wellington corner was swung over and Watson rose high above the Waikato defence to head past stranded Dowling.

All that remained was to hold on for ten minutes, under a barrage of Waikato attacks bringing another excellent save from Bannatyne from Mauri Wasi, and Andy Barron at the other end denied by a Jason Chewins last-gasp tackle.

Relief was written all over the faces of the home players, staff and fans as they finally broke the seasons home duck.  "I think we said before the game, if we out-passioned them we'd win the game and I think we did." was Jacob's accurate summary.


Team Sheet

Team Wellington


Waikato FC

1. James Bannatyne (GK)

1. Sean Dowling (GK)

2. Adam Birch(- 38)

2. Che Bunce

3. Jamie Duncan

3. Richard Beard

4. Chris Bale

4. Charlie Hoyle

5. Michael Winsauer

5. Joe Simpkins

6. Chris Davies

6. Jason Chewins

9. Greg Draper (38)

10. Michael Gwyther

12. Bryan Little (45)

13. Shaun van Rooyen

17. Gary McDermott

14. Dan Peat

19. Andy Barron

16. Paul Stewart

26. Roddy Brown (70)

18. Corey Hitchins



18. Trent Watson (38)

7. Tewi Te Pou

20. Richard McLay (70)

23. Alex Barlow (RGK)

22. Michael Fifii

24. Maurie Wasi

24. James McPeake (RGK)

17. Mark Jones (RGK)

28. Dan Keat (45)


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card


Play by Play

0 mins

Welcome to a lovely day at Newtown Park.  Despite threatening weather forecasts, the wind has dies out and the sun streams down.  Squads pretty much as expected here with Dan Keat welcomed back to the Team Wellington side from his US College.

All on time here, Team Wellington playing towards the zoo end.

Che Bunce has started at the back despite suggestions he might play up front.  Waikato resplendent in orange and grey.

2 Min

All Waikato early, pulling out a back heel in the middle of the area but not quite creating a chance.

10 Min

Wellington struggled to get out of their half early here, with Bannatyne having to leave the area to break up attacks.  COme back in to it in the last few minutes with a corner and a Barron distance shot both forcing action from Dowling in the Waikato goal.

11 Min

Waikato set piece wide left, easily dealt with by Wellington, who then break but Draper's shot defelected in to Dowling's hands.

14 Min

Evening out more here, Bryan Little drifts in a dangerous cross but no one quite gets to it.

21 Min

Roddy Brown with a finish that hits the crossbar crosses the line and bounces out.  They young ref is on it though and Team Wellington lead 1-0

23 Min

On balance Waikato could probably lead but the final ball just isn't falling.

27 Min

Che Bunce pushes just wide after Waikato bounce the ball around the area without taking a shot.

28 Min

Only the keeper to beat, Waikato with three men in the area and Bannatyne smothers it out for a corner.

29 Min

All Waikato, Team Wellington once again stuck in their area.

34 Min

Paul Stewart swings in a free kick from wide right but it evades everyone in the area.

36 Min

Something has gone down off the ball in the Team Wellington penalty area and Adam Birch has earned a straight Red.  It's a penalty.  Everyone was watching the ball out by the sideline but the referee didn't miss it.

38 Min

Joe Simpkins was the man fouled.  Dan Peat calmly slots the penalty, to give Waikato a 1-1 scoreline.  Watson replaces Draper for Team Wellington

41 Min

Trent Watson's backpass to Bannatyne has him scrambling but it goes wide for a corner.

45 Min

Great run by Davies, good cross but Bryan Little's shot is blocked by the Waikato defence.

45+1 Min

Half time 1-1

45 Min

...and we're back.  Team Wellington behind the 8-ball here.  If Waikato find some finishing boots and carry on like the first half they could take this.  Team Wellington have made a change with Dan keat on for Bryan Little.

49 Min

Waikato draw a great save out of James Bannatyne at full stretch to put a shot from Michael Gwyther over.

50 Min

Corey Hitchins goes in the book for a challenge.

52 Min

Gary McDermott switches play to Dan Keat who breaks but shoots wide of the goal and the advaning Dowling.

55 Min

Roddy Brown leaves his foot in to earn a yellow to go with his goal.

56 Min

Two saved off the line by Waikato from a corner, first by keeper Dowling and then Charilie Hoyle on the right post.

59 Min

Dangerous set piece from Waikato is headed over by defender Watson for Team Wellington.  Resulting corner too long to be a real threat.

60 Min

Could have been the goal of the season there as Waikato are pulling out all the tricks as they almost knock in a backheel volley.

63 Min

Gary McDermott earns ayellow as he breaks up the Waikato attack in a Troy Hearfield fashion .

80 Min

Team Wellington goal.  Trent Watson heads in from a corner for a possibly undeserved 2-1 lead.  Sorry about the commentary drop for 15 minutes there.  Technical incompetence from the operator.  Both sides have cleared the benches.  Trent Watson got himself a yellow.

82 Min

Snap shot from outside the area is tipped around the right hand upright by James Bannatyne.

85 Min

Game has finally woken up.  Wasi shot saved, corner headed over and the Andy Barron in the area scrambled out by Chewins

89 Min

The 4th official has signalled 6 minutes of additional time as Trent Watson is treated in the area.

90 +2

Team Wellington scrambling to hold the lead as Waikato send ball after ball in to the area.

That's it.  Team Wellington win 2-1.