ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap


AC News WU News WF News HB News YHM News TW News CU News OU News

Auckland City

Team Wellington


NZFC - Round 21, Kiwitea Street,  Sunday 6 April, 2008


Sam Campbell 17
Grant Young 39
Keryn Jordan 90+4

Darren Cheriton 20
Raf De Gregorio 68



Halftime: 2-1                       Referee: Mike Hester                                Crowd: 998 


Picture perfect Jordan secures home advantage

by Bob Pearce at Kiwitea Street

Keryn Jordan's injury time winner gave Colin Tuaa something to smile about. Photo: Shane Wenzlick Jordan was the centrefold picture in the programme for the Auckland City clash with Wellington at Kiwitea St on Sunday and he was the poster boy when the home team won 3-2 to snatch second place in the New Zealand Football Championship.

The photograph clearly shows the scars from the cancer operation the South African-born striker endured over Christmas and it is a tribute to his skill and determination that in the 94th minute of the game he fastened on to a pass by fellow South African Grant Young and scored the winning goal.

At that stage Auckland were down to 10 men after Chad Coombes had been sent off for a second yellow card and the home supporters were almost resigned to seeing their team finish third and have to trek to Wellington for the preliminary final.

Jordan's magical goal - and it would be hard to find anyone who didn't celebrate for him - means Wellington have to come back to Kiwitea St next Saturday to battle for a place in the final against Waitakere United.

Sam Campbell (obscured) is mobbed by team mates after scoring. Photo: Shane Wenzlick had opened the scoring in the 17th minute when young defender Sam Campbell stabbed home a loose ball after a poorly cleared corner. Wellington were level almost immediately as Darren Cheriton's left-foot shot from the edge of the penalty area eluded Tamati Williams' despairing dive.

But when Young in the 39th minute expertly converted a chance after the Wellington defence had been carved up by Bryan Little, Auckland seemed to be in control.

Wellington's equaliser was controversial. They were awarded a freekick 28 metres out on the left of the goal in the 68th minute. Auckland goalkeeper Tamati Williams was organising his wall when Raf De Gregorio curled a perfect shot into the net. Williams' protests that the whistle hadn't gone were dismissed and he received a yellow card for his trouble.

The visitors appeared to have the draw they needed under control over the closing stages and they appeared to reject chances to attack the goal.

Four minutes of time added on had almost expired when with 15 seconds to go Young and Jordan combined to conjure up a winner.

"I'm over the moon," said Auckland coach Colin Tuaa. "Who could ask more than a finish like that and that particular player to score the winner.

Salesh Kumar tackles Graham Little. Photo: Shane Wenzlick"I thought we were well in control until we conceded that second goal. But we showed a lot of steel to keep battling with 10 men. It is a perfect tonic for next week."

Wellington coach Stu Jacobs was very disappointed and he was adamant his team hadn't paid the price for being overly defensive when they equalised.

"I think we were a bit stretched and we compacted a bit," he said. "We got some fresh legs on and put them under pressure.

"We were well worth the point and I think they were very lucky to come out with three points. But we've got to learn to win when we're playing at Auckland. Now we've got to win next week and then take the grand final."

Photos: Shane Wenzlick


Team Sheet

Auckland City



Team Wellington

12 Tamati Williams (GK)

24 Phil Imray (GK)

2 Joel Mathews

6 Adam Birch (c)

6 Ki-Hyung Lee

19 Sean Douglas

8 Chad Coombes

21 Cole Tinkler

10 Grant Young (c)

5 Peter Howe

14 Keryn Jordan

14 Darren Cheriton

16 George Suri

16 Raf De Gregorio

22 Bryan Little

17 Wiremu Patrick

19 Salesh Kumar

10 Luis Corrales

24 Sam Campbell

9 Daniel Ellensohn

27 John Niyonsaba

15 Graham Little



1 Mark Fulcher (RGK)

1 Sasha Nathur (RGK)

9 Paul Urlovic

18 Peter Halstead

15 Jeff Campbell

13 Karl Whalen

23 Chan-Goo Yoon

3 Steve Gulley

25 Adam McGeorge

7 Sam Blackburn


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card


Play by Play

Warm and cloudy with hardly any breeze for this key encounter. The home supporters are a bit apprehensive.

We're off with Auckland playing towards the clubhouse

8 mins

Freekick on edge of penalty area when Birch fouls Young. Headed clear

13 mins

Young closes on goal but shoots weakly

16 mins

Jordan tries to lob Imray, who saves well

17 mins

GOAL! Sam Campbell scores from loose ball after left-wing corner

19 mins

Freekick on edge of area. De Gregorio's curling shot brilliantly saved by Williams

20 mins

GOAL! Wellington make quick reply as shot from edge of area by Cheriton finds corner of the goal.

27 mins

Yellow card for Suri after late tackle.

39 mins

GOAL! Young scores after Bryan Little carves through Wellington defence

42 mins

Kumar shot brilliantly saved by Imray

45 mins

No stoppages so we have halftime  dead on 45 at 2-1 to Auckland

Substitution Wellington Karl Whalen on for Cole Tinkler

53 mins

Yellow card Douglas for foul on Young. Freekick wide.

60 mins

Yellow card Young

61 mins

Substitution Suri off McGeorge on

63 mins

Wellington substitution Halstead on for Ellensohn , Auckland sub Jeff Campbell on for Bryan Little

68 mins

GOAL! De Gregorio fires directly from 38 m freekick as Williams worries about marking. Williams gets yellow for dissent

70 mins

Auckland substitution: Urlovic on for Niyonsaba

79 mins

Sub Wellington: Corrales off, Blackburn on.

82 mins

Yellow card Coombes for rash tackle.

85 mins

RED CARD! Coombes gets second yellow for another rash tackle. McGeorge gets yellow for dissent

87 mins

Patrick shot well saved by Williams

90 mins

Four minutes time added

90 plus 3

Patrick narrowly over top.

90 plus four

GOAL 15 seconds to go Jordan fastens on to cross by Young at left post and scores to put Auckland into second place, hosting a home final.