ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap


AC News WU News WF News HB News YHM News TW News CU News OU News

Waitakere United

Auckland City FC


NZFC - Round 10, Fred Taylor Park,  Saturday 26 January 2008


Paul Seaman 9
Benjamin Totori 33




Halftime: 2-0                       Referee: Michael Hester                                Crowd: 1050


Waitakere break hoodoo to go top

by Bob Pearce at Fred Taylor Park

Paul Seaman has smething to shout about after scoring against hs old club. Photo: Shane Wenzlick United removed one of the blots on their impressive New Zealand Football Championship record when they beat Auckland City for the first time on the field on Saturday.

The margin was 2-0 at Fred Taylor Park and only the most diehard of Auckland fans could quibble at the result. It takes Waitakere to the top of the league.

Nine minutes into the game Waitakere took the lead when Auckland goalkeeper Tamati Williams spilled a shot from Allan Pearce and Paul Seaman was on hand to score the goal.

The second came in the 33rd minute from a right-wing corner. Commins Menapi touched it on to fellow Solomon Islander Benjamin Totori and he found the net over a despairing defender's foot.

It was 2-0 at the break and any ideas of an Auckland comeback seemed doomed when Chad Coombes received two yellow cards and was sent packing. Ironically Auckland played better with 10 men and Riki van Steeden, who had come on as a substitute soon after the break had two good scoring chances but failed to convert.

By then the blistering heat was taking its toll. Waitakere were conservative and Auckland ran out of ideas and energy.

Referee Mike Hester give Chad Coombes his marching orders. Photo: Shane Wenzlick"We deserved it," said a delighted Waitakere coach Chris Milicich.

"Structurally we were right and we nullified what they wanted to do."

"We missed some chances but we took the ones that mattered. I thought Allan Pearce and Neil Sykes were outstanding."

His counterpart with Auckland, Colin Tuaa, said he had no complaints about the result.

"We gave them a goal with a first-up error after nine minutes and you can't do that. Both goals were really disappointing and after that we really had to chase the game."

"We only started playing when we were down to 10 men. The positive is that we did play well then. We're only halfway through the season and we'll bounce back."

The game did not rise to great heights before one of the biggest crowds at Fred Taylor Park but it was a very willing encounter as we have come to expect from these two rivals.

Referee Mike Hester served up eight yellow cards and a red, mainly for frustrated tackles in conditions that were hard for both sides.

Waitakere have had seven wins in a row and Milicich puts it down to players doing the jobs they are assigned. Pearce was outstanding with his work rate, Menapi and Totori were always a threat and nobody gets behind defenders Danny Hay, Neil Emblen and Jonathan Perry without a struggle.

Auckland's injury woes continued with James Pritchett damaging a shoulder and Bryan Little injuring his knee. Salesh Kumar worked hard in midfield but Waitakere pressure often disrupted promising moves before they became dangerous.

Tuaa, whose side has topped the table for the first half of the season, had a message for Waitakere: "It's tougher when you're on top."

Photos: Shane Wenzlick


Team Sheet

Waitakere United


Auckland City FC

22 Simon Eaddy

12 Tamati Williams

2 Jonathan Perry

2 Joel Mathews (off 46)

5 Danny Hay

5 Ben Sigmind

16 Neil Emblen  (off 80)

6 Ki-Hyung Lee

17 Jake Butler

7 James Pritchett (off 18)

15 Chris Bale

8 Chad Coombes

33 Paul Seaman   (off 82)

10 Grant Young

11 Neil Sykes

15 Jeff Campbell

10 Allan Pearce

17 Bryan Little  (off 57)

8 Commins Menapi

19 Salesh Kumar

9 Benjamin Totori  (off 71)

20 Greg Uhlmann



1 Richard Gillespie

1 Ross Nicholson

13 Daniel Koprivcic (on 71)

9 Paul Urlovic (on 57)

14 Hoani Edwards (on 82)

11 Luiz Del Monte (on 18)

7 Jason Hayne

21 Riki Van Steeden (on 46)  

6 Darren Bazeley (on 80)

24 Sam Campbell


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card


Play by Play

Waitakere start with Bazeley on the bench. Auckland have striker Paul Urlovic in reserve. Very hot with little wind. Tamati in goal for Auckland.

0 mins

First clash suggests willing encounter. Referee calms

9 mins

GOAL! Pearce shot from edge of area, Williams fumbles, Totori nudges ball away and Paul Seaman scores.

12 mins

Yellow card Seaman for use of elbow.

15 mins

Pritchett injures shoulder in tackle, replaced by Luiz Del Monte

19 mins

Yellow card Kumar for foul tackle.

21 mins

Bryan Little clear in front but delays shot, blocked by goalie.

28 mins

Yellow card.Emblen yellow for push on Young

32 mins

Yellow card. Sigmund flattens Bale in tackle.

33 mins

GOAL! Right wing corner Menapi gets touch,Totori flicks on and ball finds net off a defender.

42 mins

Young shot on target but well saved by Eaddy.

45 mins

Fast break by Auckland but Young squanders chance. halftime 2-0 lead to Waitakere well deserved.

46 mins

Substitution for Auckland.Riki Van Teeden on for Joel Mathews

50 mins

Two left wing corners for Auckland, Waitakere break and Coombes gets yellow for last-ditch tackle. Shot by Emblen well saved by Williams

51 mins

Red card. Coombes second yellow for tackle on Pearce.

52 mins

Yellow card. Wild tackle by Little.

58 mins

Substitution Auckland. Urlovic on for Little.

67 mins

Pass by Lee has van Steeden clear in front of goal but he hesitates and chance is lost.

73 mins

Substitution Waitakere. Koprivcic on for Totori

78 mins

Sykes shoots just wide.

80 mins

Substitution Waiakere. Bazeley replaces Butler.

82 mins

Substitution Waitakere. Edwards replaces Seaman.

89 mins

Yellow card Van Steeden for poor tackle.

90 plus two

Young creates chance for Van Steeden but he shoots just wide.

90 plus three

Full time 2-0 and Waitakere have first league win on field against Auckland.