ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap


AC News WU News WF News HB News YHM News TW News CU News OU News

Team Wellington

Waikato FC


NZFC - Round 9, Newtown Park,  Sunday 20 January 2008, 4pm


Steve Gulley 58
Raf de Gregorio 60




Halftime:                       Referee:  James Thian                            Crowd: 


Patience wins the day for Team Wellington

by Gordon Irving at Newtown Park

Steve Gulley savours his second half opener. Photo: Marty MelvillePatience was the key to Team Wellington’s 2-0 victory over Waikato in round nine of the New Zealand Football Championship, at a stinking hot Newtown Park in Wellington this afternoon.

The win keeps Wellington on the coat tails of the top two Auckland sides, who both scored comfortable wins against South Island opposition this weekend, but Wellington had to bide their time today before securing the three points.

“We showed a bit more patience when the chances didn't go in first half and we always felt it was going to come,” said Team Wellington assistant coach Charlie Howe.

Team Wellington dominated most facets of the game throughout, with midfielders Raf de Gregorio and Michael Wilson producing outstanding performances in the middle of the park, both to unleash the attacking potential of Daniel Ellensohn and Luis Corrales and to contain anything Waikato tried to create themselves.

Howe agreed that both players were key to the victory.

Wiremu Patrick (left) and Stu Watene go toe to toe. Photo: Marty Melville“Waikato are a good side and gave us some moments where they put us under pressure but I think Raf showed his class in midfield today and took his goal so well. He didn’t thrash it when he had the chance but coolly put it away.”

“The back four were excellent and Michael Wilson was superb in front of them and didn't give Waikato too much.”

Team Wellington created the best chances in the first spell with Ellensohn bringing out the best of Waikato keeper Danny Robinson with a snap shot from the edge of the six yard box and then drifting a left footed effort over the stranded Robinson only to see the ball come back off the crossbar.

Corrales didn’t last the half for Wellington and was replaced by Wellington’s answer to Peter Crouch, another Peter, Halstead, with seven minutes remaining in the first half.

Whatever was said in the Wellington dressing room at the break had the desired effect soon after the restart but not before Waikato had two good chances of their own. First Steven Holloway was allowed to turn and get his shot away from inside the Wellington penalty area. Then just moments later Shaun van Rooyen had a crack from outside the area that drifted wide.

Waikato's Aaron Scott (left) battle Peter Halstead. Photo: Marty MelvilleUp to this stage the game had been an open affair with both sides getting forward at every opportunity and it took a spectacular goal to eventually break the deadlock on 58 minutes.
Wellington fullback Steven Gulley, who had tormented Waikato all afternoon, picked up the ball just inside the Waikato half and was allowed to run a long way, too far in fact, before unleashing an effort that flew over Robinson and into the top corner of the Waikato net.

Within two minutes it was 2-0, and effectively game over, as Raf de Gregorio showed composure to tuck his effort beneath Robinson and into the corner of the goal.

Team Wellington had more chances to extend their lead but couldn’t convert. Not that it mattered as the business had been done.

Photos: Marty Melville

What the coaches said:

Team Wellington Assistant Coach Charlie Howe:

“We did enough to get three points and that was good after last weekend's disappointment against Waitakere”.

“We showed a bit more patience when the chances didn't go in first half and we always felt it was going to come.”

“Waikato are a good side and gave us some moments where they put us under pressure but I think Raf showed his class in midfield today and took his goal so well. The back four were excellent and Michael Wilson was superb in front of them and didn't give Waikato too much.”

“It set us up nicely for Hawkes Bay next weekend. They are a good side but we're at a stage now where we have to push on. We've got Waitakere out of the way and if Hawke's Bay turns up and we play like we can, it'll be a hell of a game at Park Island.”

Waikato Assistant Coach Mark Cossey:

“To use the old cliche it was a game of two halves.”

“They were slow out of the blocks and at times in the first spell we played some good stuff. We had a few chances but didn't capitalise. I didn't think we controlled the midfield and their left back had a field day.”

“It's been a long day with all the travelling and we've been at the park for three hours before the game so in the end it's very disappointing as our shape just wasn't there.”

Team Sheet

Team Wellington


Waikato FC

2 Sam Peters

1 Danny Robinson

3 Steve Gulley

2 David Samson

8 Mike Wilson

3 Hone Fowler

9 Daniel Ellensohn

5 Aaron Scott

10 Luis Corrales

6 Sam Wilkinson

13 Karl Whalen

7 Joe Simpkins

16 Raf de Gregorio

9 Jakub Sinkora

17 Wiremu Patrick

12 Robert Gill

19 Sean Douglas

14 Shaun van Rooyen

20 Caue Benicio

15 Steven Holloway

24 Phil Imray

17 Stu Watene



1 Jake Gleeson

10 Luke Findlay

5 Peter Howe

11 Paul Stewart

14 Darren Cheriton

18 Stanley Waita

18 Peter Halstead

21 Cole Tinkler


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card


Play by Play

It's another hot one at Newtown Park for this Round 9 NZFC fixture and there's a big blow for the home team with Graham Little out of the match after picking up concussion in last weekend's loss to Waitakere.

The players are out on the sweltering Newtown Park pitch warming up for today's encounter and I'm glad it's them and not me. The training tops are wet with sweat. It's a scorcher at Newtown.

Just about kick off and TW will play from left to right in the first half - playing away from the zoo end of the ground.

TW in all black and Waikato in all white for today's fixture

Waikato to kick off and it's underway.

2' it's all Waikato in the early exchanges. They have been camped in and around the TW penalty area since kick off without getting a shot away

5' at last TW get forward and there's a flurry of activity in the Waikato area but again no shot to trouble the keeper

8' TW corner from the left hand side - but it's a weak effort and easily cleared.

10' Daniel Ellensohn is away and gets the ball in the back of the net but the flag is up and it won't count.

12' Waikato get away down the right hand side and it's a good cross low to the near post that is finally held by Imray.

14' TW starting to find some holes in the Waikato defence as de Gregorio sets Ellensohn free and his cross beats Robinson in Waikato's goal but is cleared by the retreating defenders.

15' it's a good open game, both sides looking to attack and there looks like being some goals in the game. The heat may play a factor.

18' best chance of the game as Corrales gets free on the left and his cross is met by Ellensohn who brings out the best in Waikato's Robinson and the ball is cleared.

22' fantastic through ball with the outside of the foot from TW's Benicio that sets Corrales away but it's well read by Robinson who just wins the race to get it clear

28' it's a poster. A mistake out of defence by Waikato sees de Gregorio feed Ellensohn who has plenty of time to size up a shot and his left footer beats Robinson but comes back off the Waikato bar

Halftime and apologies from Newtown. In computer talk 'we crashed'. No goals while we were away although TW had a couple of good chances with Benicio testing Robinson from distance and then Patrick dancing along the edge of the penalty area before dragging his left foot shot wide.

Peter Halstead replaced Luis Corrales with seven minutes left in the first half. Corrales limped off with what looked like bad blistering.

Second half is underway and TW, who had the better of the first half chances and will be disappointed to be starting the second half on level terms, will attack towards the zoo end of the ground.

46' first chance for Waikato as Steven Holloway turns and shoots inside the TW area but it's well held by Imray. That's the first serious strike on target by Waikato.

49' another chance for Waikato as van Rooyen's effort from outside the area goes past the post

50' Waikato showing some purpose as a surging run from Wilkinson is stopped on the edge of the TW area

52 great chance for Ellensohn who finds himself free on the edge of the area but his shot slices wide of the Waikato goal. This is a very open game and you'd expect goals but as yet it's scoreless

54' another great chance for TW but this time it's Patrick that drags his effort wide of the Waikato goal

Maybe it's going to be one of those games!!!

56' great run into the box by Benicio and he meets Patrick's flick but is unable to get a clean header on target. Another chan ce disappears for TW

58' GOAL! And what a goal it was, by TW left back Steve Gulley. He picked the ball up just inside the Waikato half and ran as the Waikato side backed off. As he approached the penalty area his shot sailed over Robinson and just under the Waikato bar for 1-0 to TW

60' GOAL! The goals are finally flowing as TW go 2-0 up as de Gregorio tucks one under Robinson and it looks like TW are on their way

63' should have been 3-0 as Ellensohn gets away down the middle of the Waikato defence but his shot is weak. TW have replaced Sean Douglas with Cole Tinkler

65' double substitution for Waikato Findlay and Waita on for Holloway and Watene

69' deep cross from Steve Gulley finds Peter Halstead at the back post but his shot drifts wide. A difficult chance for TW

71' final sub for Waikato as Gill is replaced by Stewart

75' there's some tired footballers out there in this sapping heat but TW look like they're in control

79' final sub for TW as Ellensohn is replaced by Cheriton

85' five minutes to go and TW have shown lots of patience. The chances didn't drop in the first half but two goals in two minutes early in the second half have calmed the nerves and TW look comfortable to pick up three points with time running out.

86' Peter Halstead must be 6'4" at least but he showed lovely skill on the floor to skip away from a challenge and then curled his shot wide from the edge of the box.

FULLTIME at Newtown Park and TW have produced a classy performance to stay in touch at the top of the table. No panic in the first half after missing some good chances and in the second TW's pressure has paid off with two top quality goals  in a spell that killed off the Waikato challenge. It's a good victory for TW who face a tough away challenge at Hawkes Bay next week. 2-0 to TW.