ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap

Team Wellington

Waitakere United


NZFC - Round 6, Newtown Park,  Sunday December 23, 2007


Wiremu Patrick 43

Allan Pearce 8, 45, 47 (pen)
Jonathan Perry 40
Hoani Edwards 87



Halftime: 1-3                      Referee:  Neil Fox                              Crowd: 1000


Waitakere put five past Wellington

by Gordon Irving at Newtown Park

Hat-trick hero Allan Pearce (left)vholds off Sean Douglas. Photo: Tim HalesSanta Claus came to Newtown Park in Wellington this afternoon and he was dressed in black and gold as Team Wellington gifted Waitakere United the three points in their top of the table NZFC clash.

Waitakere won the match 5-1 as the home side’s horror defending came back to hurt them in the worst possible way.

Team Wellington coach Stu Jacobs has been concerned by his side’s inability to defend strongly and today they paid the price with a clinical Waitakere side the beneficiary.

“That could have been a 7-4 game. In the first half we defended poorly. In the final third they didn’t do anything we didn’t think they would but we just couldn’t cope,’ said Jacobs.

Team Wellington had their backs to the wall as early as the 6th minute, when Alan Pearce swung in an early free kick to give his side the perfect start.

The early stages of the match were uneasy for Wellington but they slowly grew in confidence and dominated the half without ever putting Simon Eaddy in the Waitakere goal under any real pressure. But all the pressure was wasted when Jonathan Perry made it 2-0 to the visitors with just five minutes remaining on the first half clock.

Wellington's new signing Caue Benicio floats a free-kick over a heavily manned Waitakere wall. Photo: Tim HalesBut the winning and losing of the game was still to come. Wiremu Patrick dragged Wellington back into the game with his third goal in three matches just two minutes after Perry’s. With all Wellington’s domination, Patrick’s goal so close to half time seemed to have set things up nicely for the second half.

But Allan Pearce had other ideas and just when Wellington appeared back in it, they were just as quickly out of it again. Pearce struck in first half injury time to give Waitakere a 3-1 advantage at the break and then two minutes into the second half won and then converted a penalty to put the match beyond Wellington and claim his hattrick.

The rest of the second half was dominated by Team Wellington who created several openings but their finishing was poor and the vastly experienced Waitakere side soaked up all the pressure without seriously looking like having their defences breached.

Waitakere substitute Hoani Edwards added some icing to the result when he swept in a shot from the edge of the penalty area with just three minutes on the clock.

Danny Hay (top) beats Luis Corrales to the ball. Photo: Tim HalesThe result means Waitakere leapfrog Wellington into second spot on the table and is payback for Waitakere’s first up loss to Wellington in round one. The two sides meet again at Newtown Park on January 13.

Waitakere coach Chris Milicich was naturally very pleased with the result.

“I’m rapt where we’re sitting in the league. We got a lot of criticism after the first up loss to Wellington but we’ve now got Japan out of the way and we’ve proved we’re not a bad side and we can scrap if we want to.”

“Wellington were too intricate today but we came down here to overload their back four and the game plan worked perfectly.”

Team Wellington’s Stu Jacobs knows his team came off second best today but he’s looking forward to 2008.

“If someone had told me at the start of the season that at Christmas we would have 16 points and be in third place, I would have grabbed it. But obviously after the start we’ve made to the season, I’m disappointed with the way we’ve played today.”

“We can’t play like that and think we’re going to win championships.”

What the coaches said

Waitakere United coach Chris Milicich:

"Wellington played way too intricate but we came down here to overload their back four and the game plan worked perfectly."

"I'm rapt where we're sitting in the league. We got a lot of criticism after the first up loss to Wellington but we've now got Japan out of the way and we've proved we're not a bad side and we can scrap if we want to."

“We come back here early in the new year and we know it'll be difficult."

Team Wellington coach Stu Jacobs:

"That could have been a 7-4 game. In the first half we defended poorly. In the final third they didn't do anything we didn't think they would do but we just didn't cope."

"In the second half we were better but their goal just before and just after halftime really killed us."

"If someone had told me at the start of the season that at Christmas we would have 16 points and be in third place I would have grabbed it. But obviously after the start we've made I'm disappointed with the way we've played today and we can't play like that and think we're going to win championships."

Photos: Tim Hales


Team Sheet

Team Wellington

NZFC - Round 6, Newtown Park


Waitakere United

Sunday December 23 Kickoff 4pm

2 Sam Peters (off 60)

2 Jonathan Perry

5 Peter Howe

5 Danny Hay

9 Daniel Ellensohn

6 Darren Bazeley

12 Andy Barron

9 Benjamin Totori  (off 53)

13 Karl Whalen

10 Allan Pearce

15 Graham Little

11 Neil Sykes

16 Raf de Gregorio

15 Chris Bale

17 Wiremu Patrick   (off 60)

16 Neil Emblem (off 81)

19 Sean Douglas

17 Jake Butler (off 66)

20 Caue Benicio

21 Graham Pearce

24 Phil Imray (GK)

22 Simon Eaddy (GK)



1 Jake Gleeson (RGK)

1 Richard Gillespie (RGK)

3 Steve Gulley (on 60)

7 Jason Hayne

4 Jamie Farrington

8 Commins Menapi (on 53)

10 Luis Corrales (on 60)

13 Daniel Koprivic (on 81)

21 Cole Tinkler

14 Hoani Edwards  (on 66)


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card


Play by Play

It's another beautiful day in the capital for the one and only NZFC fixture. However a breeze may prove tricky for the two teams.

Team Wellington will go back to the top of the NZFC should they win today

Good news for TW this afternoon as they welcome back their skipper, Andy Barron from injury and top goalscorer Daniel Ellensohn also starts his first game after injury

TW are also set to thrust another Brazilian on the Kiwi football scene with new signing Caue Benicio making his debut

Waitakere welcome back the experience of Darren Bazeley and Danny Hay, both missing from last weekend's win over Otago

The match is underway at Newtown as TW look to go top for Christmas

TW playing from right to left attacking the zoo end of the ground


corner to WU but there's an infringement in the box, free kick to TW


WU dominating the early stages not giving TW too much ball and Emblen up front looks set to cause some problems for the TW defence


GOAL! 0-1 free kick to WU taken by Sykes and Allan Pearce's header is turned in off the knee of Daniel Ellensohn. WU lead 1-0


TW struggling to get into the game and have made the worst possible start


WU's Benjamin Totori causing problems down TW's right side with a good run and shot that's wide


WU free kick right on the edge of the TW box. Dangerous for the home side


Neil Sykes lifts the free kick just over Imray's bar


great work from Graham Little and his cross is cleared for a corner


better from TW  a cross from Andy Barron just headed wide from Karl Whalen. TW getting back into it


TW hit the bar after a great run across field from Raf de Gregorio, Little's shot cannons off the bar


dangerous free kick to TW just on edge of WU box as de Gregorio crashes to the ground under the challenge of Hay and Ellensohn's shot from a scrambled free kick is just over the bar. Good stuff TW


another free kick to TW on the edge of the box but the Brazilian Benicio lifts it over the bar. Wasted chance

Half an hour gone at Newtown and after a rocky start TW are now making their presence felt but they need a goal before halftime


4th WU player in the book, (Butler, Totori, Hay and Sykes) they need to be careful or someone will walk


big claims for a penalty as Pearce goes down in TW box, waved away by Neil Fox


corner for TW headed narrowly wide by Ellensohn


again TW go close after a corner, just flicked wide by Little


GOAL! 0-2 against the run of play a free kick isn't cleared by TW and it's turned home by Jonathan Perry


GOAL! 1-2 free kick quickly taken by TW and it's turned home by Wiremu Patrick. WU lead 2-1 but it's game on


GOAL! 1-3 On the stroke of halftime TW's defence goes to sleep and Allan Pearce turns the ball home and WU lead 3-1

Halftime at Newtown Park and just when TW were beginning to dominate WU have scored twice against the run of play and look comfortable at 3-1. Lots of work for Stu Jacobs in the halftime break as his defence has gone to sleep on too many occasions and have been punished severly.


Second half is underway at Newtown and TW have a large hill to climb if they are to go top of the NZFC tonight


Penalty to WU as Pearce is brought down in the box


GOAL! 1-4 Pearce scores from the spot crashing his penalty off the underside of the bar. It's all gone wrong for TW

It's 4-1 to Waitakere but TW must be wondering what's gone wrong as the game is certainly not that onesided but WU have taken their chances


another two good chances for TW go begging, they haven't got gtheir shooting boots on but WU's defence is well marshalled by Danny Hay


substitution for WU Totori off and Menapi on


Benicio the Brazilian is peripheral to the action but when he is on the ball he's all class


double substitution for TW Peters and Patrick off and Gulley and Corrales on


it's comfortable for WU. There's no need to chase anything and TW's finding it frustrating to break down


substitution for WU Edwards on and Butler off


two goals either side of halftime has given WU an armchair ride but really these two sides are evenly matched and you would have to say that TW have dominated


Peter Howe shoots over for TW and it's been that sort of day for the home side, plenty of half chances but nothing threatening Eaddy's goal


great work from Corrales, he jinks down the line and his cross is met by Gulley who hits a Waitakere post


it won't go in for TW, Gulley's cut back is cleared and the follow up shot from Corrales is blocked before Barron makes space and blasts narrowly wide


what a run from Gulley down the left and his cross is met at the far post by Ellensohn who's cracking shot is over the bar. This should be 4-4


surely there are no presents under the tree for the WU players on Tuesday, as they've opened them all today. TW just can't finish


chip from Graham Little floats harmlessly over Eaddy's bar


run and shot from Little is weak and easy for Eaddy to save. Time running out it looks as though Waitakere will leap frog TW into second place


GOAL! 1-5 Hoani Edwards finishes off a flowing move and WU lead 5-1


FULL TIME all over at Newtown and Waitakere have secured a morale boosting win on the eve of Christmas. The scoreline says 5-1 but TW will be wondering how it got away on them as it was an evenly matched afair with TW shading the possession but unable to turn possession into goals.