ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap



Canterbury United

Waikato FC


NZFC - Round 4, English Park,  Sunday 25 November 2007


Own goal 23

Robert Gill 89(pen)



Halftime:  1 - 0                     Referee: James Thian                         Crowd: 500


Waikato come away with point

By Gavin Searle at English Park

Robert Gill eventually found a way through the Canterbury defence from the spot. Photo: Kevin Clarke late Robert Gill penalty shared the points between Canterbury United and Waikato FC in their fourth round New Zealand Football Championship clash on Sunday that finished 1-1.

In a scrappy game played in difficult conditions, Gillís penalty in the dying minutes cancelled out Samsonís unfortunate own goal and maintained Waikatoís unbeaten away record this season.

Both sides have struggled to put out a settled side early in the season Ė so both teams would have been pleased to come off the park with a point each, but also disappointed that they did not make more of their scoring chances which if taken would have won all three points on offer.

The game started in hot strong Norwest conditions which picked up early in the game with the wind first favouring the home side with Waikato then coming back into the game during the second half.

Canterbury had several clear changes in the opening twenty minutes but opened the scoring in unlikely circumstances.

Dan Robinson and Aaron Scott are horrified to gift Canterbury the lead. Photo: Kevin Clarke keeper Dan Robinson will be buying the drinks for David Samson after he hacked the ball off his teammate and into their own net when trying to clear.

Minutes later Canterbury captain, Stu Kelly headed the bar over the bar and Michael Fifii somehow managed to miss an open goal seconds later.

From the resulting goal kick Waikato were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when Luke Findley was up-ended.

The half ended with Gill going close for Waikato at one end and Robinson pulling off a good save to deny the hard working Ryan Faichnie at the other.

Waikato started to come back into the game after the break and strung together several chances in a row with Samson nearly making up for the own goal when hitting the ball straight to Canterbury keeper, Adam Highfield.

Both sides went to the bench midway through the half and Waikato substitute Nathan Holten nearly scored within minutes of coming on with a strong run into the area that was thwarted by Highfield saving well at Holten's feet.

In a hectic final few minutes Waikato were awarded a penalty for hand ball, which their captain Gill slotted home to deny Canterbury their first win of the season. Canterbury will, however, take some solace with their first point at home at home this season.

Next week they welcome league-leading Team Wellington to town while Waikato entertain defending champs Auckland City in a battle of the Bombays.

Photos: Kevin Clarke


Team Sheet

Canterbury United

NZFC - Round 4, English Park


Waikato FC

Sunday 25 Nov.  Kickoff 4.30pm

1. Adam Highfied (GK)

1. Dan Robinson (GK)

4. Bill Robertson

2. David Samson 

5. Michael Bothwell

5. Aaron Scott

7. Michael Fifii (off 67)

6. Sam Wilkinson (off 61 min)

9. Dave Walker

7. Joe Simpkins

10. Stuart Kelly (Captain) (off 86)

9. Jakub Sinkora (off 72)

12. Jeremy Wild

10. Luke Findley

16. Yusaku Okubo (off 72)

12. Robert Gill (Captain) (off 72)

17. Ryan Faichnie

14. Shaun Van Rooyen

19. Matt Boyd

17. Stewart Watene

21. Sam Jasper

25. Jeff Sole



11. Tom Lancaster (on 86)

4. Tom Edwards

13. Rhys Parker (on 67)

8. Nathan Holten(on 72)

18. Blair Duncan

18. Stanely Waita (on 61)

21. Jordan Ashton (RGK)

23. Gareth Turnbull (on 72)


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card


Play by Play

0 min

Game kick off moved backed to 4.30pm due to late arrival of Waikato FC team

1 min

Play under way in very hot  norwest conditions, 26 degrees

10 mins

Hectic start with half chances at both ends

17 mins

Stu Kelly (Canty) shot from inside own half wide with Danny Robinson off his line 

19 mins

Wind getting up which favours Canterbury 

23 mins

OWN GOAL!!! Robinson attempts to clear all but bounces of team mate David Samson and into net. Canty 1 Waikato 0 

31 mins

Kelly heads over bar from Canty corner

33 mins

Michal Fifii pushes ball wide with Canty goal begging

34 mins

Shout for Waikato penalty turned down by referee James Thian after player tripped in area

41 mins

Canty fail to clear ball in own area with ball falling to Robert Gill who beat one defender but shots straight at Adam Highfield 

42 mins

Ryan Faichnie shot turned away for corner by Robinson

45 mins

 1 minute added time

45 mins + 1

Half time - Canterbury 1 Waikato FC 0

46 mins

Play under way with no changes to line-ups

50 mins

Free kick to Canterbury into wall by Sam Jasper with rebound into side netting

51 mins

Low cross by Waikato cleared away for corner

53 mins

Waikato started stronger using wind to good effect

56 mins

Waikato free kicks ends with Samson hitting ball directly to Highfield

61 mins

Waikato replaces Sam Wilkinson with Stanley Waita

67 mins

Fifii limps off for Canterbury replaced by Rhys Parker

69 mins

Matt Boyd  (Canty) yellow card

72 mins

Canterbury goes to bench again with Gareth Turnbull replacing Yusaku Okubo with Waikato replacing Jakub Sinkora with Nathan Holten

78 mins

Good run by Holten into area ends with Highfield saving at feet of Waikato sub

86 mins

Dave Walker into area for Canterbury but no one on end of cross

87 mins

Canterbury captain, Stu Kelly, goes down  and replaced by Tom Lancaster

89 mins

GOAL!!!! Penalty awarded for hand ball with Robert Gill equalishing from spot Canty 1 Waikato 1

90 mins + 3

Final score Canterbury 1 Waikato 1