ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap

AC News WU News WF News HB News YHM News TW News CU News OU News



Hawke's Bay United

Waikato FC


ASB Premiership - Round 8,
Bluewater Stadium,  Napier
Sunday 13th January 2013


Jarrod SMITH 45' 48'

Conor TINNION 77'





Halftime:     1-0                  Referee:   R Scholes                             Crowd: 413


Smith brace seals Bay victory

by Heath Caldwell at Bluewater Stadium (Napier)

NAPIER - A double strike from Jarrod Smith inspired Hawke’s Bay United to a comprehensive 4-0 victory over Waikato FC on a scorching Hawke’s Bay day.

The victory firmly entrenches Hawke’s Bay in the top four and ensured they maintained their perfect four from four home record this campaign.

Coach Chris Greatholder enthused over the result and performance.

“We played some of the best football we have played this season.

"The boys have put a hell of a lot of work in behind the scenes in training and we are starting to become more expansive and attacking and it is starting to pay dividends," he said.

It was Smith’s first appearance of the campaign for the home side after overcoming niggling injuries that have hampered him since the end of the winter season, and it was his two goals either side of halftime that set Hawke’s Bay on their way.

On a day when the mercury rose to over thirty degrees it was a surprise that Waikato adapted better to the conditions in the opening period.

Through the vision and passing of Jack Hobson-McVeigh Waikato stretched the Hawke’s Bay defence but were unable to make the vital breakthrough they required.

Hawke’s Bay worked their way in to the match and after creating a number of opportunities it was no surprise when they took the lead just before the break.

An inch perfect cross from the left by Dakota Lucas was placed on the head of Smith and the striker easily finished from six yards out.

Both teams would have been relieved to hear the referees halftime whistle and take the opportunity to escape the scorching sun and gather their thoughts for the second half.

Waikato needed to make a good start to the second half to get themselves back in the game but it was Hawke’s Bay that made the better start and doubled their lead only three minutes in to the half.

Again it was Smith, this time with a powerful header from a Harley Rodeka corner that left Matt Upton with no chance in the Waikato goal.

Not long after Smith had two glorious opportunities to net a hat trick and kill the game off but both times was denied by the impressive Upton.

Hawke’s Bay did eventually landed the killer blow with Smith this time turning provider when his searching pass found Conor Tinnion free on the corner of the box,  the winger making no mistake with a classy finish, curling the ball with his left foot in to the corner of the goal.

By now both sides were tiring in the heat but there was still enough time for Sean Lovemore to score his seventh goal of the season after utilising his pace to beat the offside trap and calmly finish under the advancing Upton.

With Coach Mark Cossey making another dash back to the airport to catch a flight it was left to Waikato Assistant Coach Neil Mouncher to wrap things up for the away side.

“It was two even teams in the first half, but you guys managed to score just before halftime and two minutes after halftime and pretty much that was game over”.

“The boys battled hard from there but unfortunately it was not to be”.

Hawke’s Bay United will look to continue their momentum next weekend with a tough provincial derby game away at Youngheart Manawatu while things don’t get any easier for Waikato with a difficult game at home to the unbeaten Waitakere United.



Team Sheet

Hawke's Bay United


Waikato F.C

1. Richard GILLESPIE

1. Matt UPTON

2. Aaron JONES

5. Eden FRANCHINI (OFF 72')

4. Danny WILSON


5. Bill ROBERTSON (c)

9. Rory TURNER

6. Stephen HINDMARCH




9. Jarrod SMITH (OFF 78')

16. Mark JONES (OFF 60')

12. Harley RODEKA (OFF 62')

21. Raymond HOW

17. Fergus NEIL

22. Jordan SHAW (OFF 78')

18. Dakota LUCAS (OFF 72')

23. Hone FOWLER

20. Conor TINNION

24. Adam WALLACE



26. Danyon DRAKE (rgk)

12. Neil MOUNCHER (rgk)

10. Stephen HOYLE (ON 72')

8. Robbie GREENHALGH (ON 72')

16. Sean LOVEMORE (ON 62')

17. Wade MALONEY (ON 60')

21. Matt BRUIN (ON 78')

18. Alexis CARCAMO VARELA (ON 78')

22. Angus KILKOLLY

20. Adam LUQUE


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card

Play by Play

Welcome to Bluewater Stadium for today's Round 8 ASB Premiership clash between Hawke's Bay United and Waikato F.C. It is an absolutle scorcher in the Bay today, and with the mercury expected to rise above 30 degrees come kickoff today's game could well be decided by which team best handles the conditions.

It is an important game for both teams today with Hawke's Bay looking to continue on with their strong start to the season and consolidate their position in the top four while Waikato will be looking to bounce back from their midweek loss to Auckland City.

In the curtain raiser to today's game Hawke's Bay United came away with a well deserved 2-0 victory over Waikato F.C in a Round 1 National Youth League fixture.


The teams are walking out with kickoff moments away. The Waikato bench will be without coach Mark COSSEY today as he is stranded in Wellington with airport closed due to low cloud.


First chance for Hawke's Bay as some great play down the right and then from SMITH in the box sees the ball fall to Fergus NEIL whose shot is well blocked by UPTON in the Waikato goal.


Hawke's Bay creating all the early play with Waikato scrambling at the back.


Hawke's Bay are causing all sorts of problems down the right hand side. This time it is Dakota LUCAS who beats two players but his ball from that byline is cut out by Raymond HOW.


First attack by Waikato with Sam MARGETTS beating his man down the left and forcing a corner. It is a wasted corner from HOBSON-MCVEIGH and goes over everyone for a goal kick.


A great 50 yard ball from HOBSON-MCVEIGH sends MARGETTS free on the left but some great defensive work from Fergus NEIL averts the danger for Hawke's Bay.


I'm not sure what Richard GILLESPIE is doing here but it should be a regulation pick up but he stumbles and the ball rolls out for a corner. He redeems himself from the corner though as he comes out to collect the ball from the six yard box. 


Sam MARGETTS has a shot from 35 yards out and although he struck it well it flew well over the top of GILLESPIE'S goal.


HOBSON-MCVEIGH is starting to take control of this game in the middle of the park for Waikato with his long range passing game stretching the Hawke's Bay defence.


Hawke's Bay work the ball down the left this time and a great ball from Conor TINNION is cleared by Waikato for a corner.


Hawke's Bay come agonisingly close to taking the lead from the resulting corner as ROBERTSON'S header is cleared off the line and the follow up is cleared as SMITH and RODEKA closed in.


Our reporter at the airport has just advised that Mark COSSEY has been seen sprinting across the airport and is on his way to the ground.


The final ball is letting Hawke's Bay down today. Again it is good work by TINNION but his ball is intercepted by FRANCHINI on the edge of the box.


Jarrod SMITH, making his first appearance this campaign, blasts a mile over from 12 yards out.


Drinks break. On this scorching day a drinks break has been called by the ref to give the players a chance for a breather.


The players return from the break but it seems to have disrupted the momentum of both teams as things have started to get a bit scrappy.


Another corner for Waikato as WILSON scrambles the ball clear for Hawke's Bay but it is a terrible ball and is easily cleared by HINDMARCH.


This is a typical post Christmas game with both sides struggling for cohesion. To be fair it is rather warm out there though.


A crunching tackle by Stephen HINDMARCH sees FRANCHINI rolling around in agony but play carries on and PEVERLEY has a strike from 25 yards only for it to take a deflection and roll along the ground to UPTON.


Another good chance for Hawke's Bay as TINNION plays a great ball in for RODEKA but his shot from the edge of the 18 yard box drifts wide as he is one on one with Upton.


YELLOW CARD Dakota Lucas is booked for a dangerous tackle in the middle of the pitch.


YELLOW CARD Referee Robert Scholes dishes out his second yellow card in two minutes as Raymond HOW is booked for a tackle on Jarrod SMITH.


GOAL HAWKE'S BAY Jarrod SMITH marks his first appearance of the season with a goal with a simple header at the far post from a pin point Dakota LUCAS cross.


The fourth official indicates an addtional 3 minutes to be played in the first half.


A chance for Dakota LUCAS to double Hawke's Bay lead just before the break but his shot from the edge of the 18 yard box flies just over the bar.

HALFTIME HAWKE'S BAY UNITED 1 WAIKATO 0 The players will be more than happy to hear the halftime whistle and head to the changing rooms for a cold shower. Waikato played well in the first 20 minutes but Hawke's Bay have slowly built the pressure and deserve to head to the break with a 1-0 lead.


The players are back on the field and we are underway for the second half.


Waikato create the first chance of the second half and again is Sam MARGETTS who again shoots high over the bar.


GOAL HAWKE'S BAY Its Jarrod SMITH again as he powers a header past UPTON from a RODEKA corner. Great finish.


YELLOW CARD Cole PEVERLEY picks up his standard yellow card.


Waikato look to strike straight back but Rory TURNER sidefoots over the bar after a great cross from Jordan SHAW.


A great strike from Conor TINNION from the corner of the 18 yard box bouces off the post and back in to the arms of a grateful UPTON.


That should have been a hatrick of a headers from SMITH. Fergus NEIL delivers a magnificent cross from the right and SMITH with acres of space heads over the bar.


Hawke's Bay starting to dominate this game now. Another chance is created but the shot from PEVERLEY is that weak that is struggles to even make it to UPTON in goal.


SUBSTITUTE WAIKATO - Mark Cossey has arrived at the ground and makes the first sub of the game with Wade MALONEY replacing Mark JONES.


SUBSTITUTE HAWKE'S BAY - Chris Greatholder follows COSSEY'S lead and makes his first substitute with Sean LOVEMORE replacing Harely RODEKA.


A handball from Aaron JONES just outside the 18 yard box sees a freekick awarded to Waikato. The freekick from HOBSON-MCVEIGH is struck well but GILLESPIE saves well high to his right.


We are halfway through the second half and referee Scholes allows another drinks break. Hawke's Bay have absolutely dominated this half but will want another goal as Waikato do look likely on the counter attack.


Another chance for SMITH to land his hatrick. This time he finds himself one on one with UPTON after a 50 yard peach from HINDMARCH but UPTON makes himself big in the goal and makes a great block.


Again Waikato counter and again is MARGETTS who has the chance. FRANCHINI shot from 20 yards but his shot was blocked and fell at the feet of MARGETTS who couldn't quite get enough on his shot to beat GILLESPIE.


DOUBLE SUBSTUTION - Again COSSEY and GREATHOLDER are in sync as Robbie GREENHALGH replaces Eden FRANCHINI for Waikato and Stephen HOYLE replaces Dakota LUCAS for Hawke's Bay.


Hawke's Bay are creating some great opportunities but just can't beat UPTON at the moment. Another great through ball from HINDMARCH releases Stephen HOYLE but again UPTON makes himself big and makes a great block.


Another magnificent cross from HOBSON-MCVEIGH almost finds Rory TURNER but a great interception from Bill ROBERTSON saves the day for Hawke's Bay.


GOAL HAWKE'S BAY What a finish. Jarrod SMITH makes a Beckham like pass to the feet of Conor TINNION and the Hawke's Bay winger takes a touch and bends in to the corner of the goal with the outside of his left foot. That should be the game.


DOUBLE SUBSTITUTION - Another double substitution from the coaches as Alexis CARCAMO VARELA replaces Jordan SHAW for Waikato and Matt BRUIN replaces double goal scorer Jarrod SMITH for Hawke's Bay.


GOAL HAWKE'S BAY Sean LOVEMORE uses his blinding pace to beat the offside trap and cooly slot the ball under an advancing UPTON.


Waikato pushing forward looking for a consolation goal but things just not falling their way today.


Corner for Hawke's Bay but TINNION overhits and drifts out for a throw in. The pace has died off a bit out there and the players will be looking forward to the referee's final whistle.


The fourth official has indicated an additional 4 mintues of time to be played in this second half.


YELLOW CARD Conor TINNION picks up a needless booking for a late challenge on HOBSON-MCVEIGH.


Referee Scholes blows the whistle and that will bring the end to a very entertaining game between these two teams on a very warm day here in the Bay. Hawke's Bay thoroughly deserve the win after dominating the second half and continue their unbeaten home run to consolidate their position in the top four.