Wrap TW News AC News
Hawke's Bay United
NZFC - Round 1
English Park, November 3, 2007
Dave Walker 42
Jeremy Brockie 69
Halftime: 1-0 Referee: Peter O'Leary (Hamilton) Crowd: 800
By Gavin Searle at English Park
Hawke's Bay United coach Jonathan Gould was all smiles after his side fought back from a goal down to open their NZFC campaign with a well deserved 3-1 win at Canterbury United on Sunday.
English debutant Dave Walker gave Canterbury a 1-0 lead at halftime but Hawke's Bay roared home with goals from Jeremy Brockie, Sam Messam and Leon Birnie.
”We played some good football in the first half before going behind to a sucker punch late in the half,” Gould said.
“At half time I told the players not to panic because we were creating plenty of chances and I knew the goals would come if we continued to play the same way.
“We were well worth the three points today and after last season it is good to start with a win.”
Hawke's Bay clearly had the better of the scoring opportunities before Walker finished well to score his first NZFC goal and put the Canterbury ahead, against the run of pay three minutes before the break.
Into the second half, Hawke's Bay again were the more creative and with some Canterbury players allowing their markers too much space, it was only a matter of time before the scores were level.
It was former Canterbury player Brockie who was untroubled to equalise after Canterbury failed to clear the ball with 20-minutes remaining.
Less than 10 minutes later Hawke's Bay took the lead when Messam scored after Canterbury failed to clear the ball.
Birnie ensured the visitors would head north with the three points when firing home a shot in front of goal from just outside the penalty area.
While the result was not what Canterbury fans wanted, seven Dragons starters were making their NZFC debut with another two players, Michael Fifii and Ryan Faichnie, also debuting off the bench.
Canterbury will have both their captain, Stu Kelly, and vice captain, Andy Pitman, back for their round two visit to Otago United next Sunday after both were servicing a suspension carried over from last season.
Hawke's Bay are away to Auckland City on Saturday.
NZFC - Round 1
Hawke's Bay United
November 4, 2007
1. Adam Highfield (GK)
1. Mitchell O'Brien (GK)
4. Bill Robertson
3. Cole Peverley
5. Michael Bothwell
5. Campbell Parkin
6. Chris Morris (75 off)
6. Stu Hogg
8. Blair Scoullar (Captain)
9. Sam Messam (88 off)
9. Dave Walker
10. Jeremy Brockie (81 off)
11. Tom Lancaster
11. Graham Fyfe (Captain)
12. Jeremy Wild
13. Leon Birnie
14. Darren Overton
16. Jimmy Cudd
16. Yusaku Okubo (46 off)
20. Sam Jenkins
21. Sam Jasper
25. Jarrod Smith (63 off)
7. Michael Fifii (75 on)
7. Stu Wilson (63 on)
13. Rhys Parker
12. Dean Johnson
17. Ryan Faichnie (46 on)
15. Stu Hogg (81 on)
19. Matt Boyd
19. Jonathan Taylor (88 on)
22. Jordan Ashton (GK)
24. Jonathan Gould (GK)
Welcome to English Park where kick-off has been delayed 10 minutes due to the late arrival of Hawke's Bay.
- Both teams win early corners, with the game being played in fine conditions.
- Yellow card - Darren Overton is booked.
- Left foot shot from Jeremy Brockie into side netting.
- 25 metre shot by Graham Fyfe well wide.
- A 30-metre ball from Sam Jenkins finds Brockie unmarked with Canterbury keeper Adam Highfield blocking shot.
- Goalmouth scramble has shot for Hawkes Bay hit the cross bar with Canterbury awarded a free-kick for hand ball.
- Yellow card - Jeremy Wild is cautioned after a clash with Brockie.
- Canterbury shot cleared off line after Mitchell O'Brien failed to gather ball.
- Canterbury gives away kick-off in front of goal - Fyfe's shot goes around wall with Highfield turning ball away for corner.
- Jarrod Smith finds Fyfe with a great ball who shots on turn but just wide.
- GOAL! 1-0 A well taken goal by Dave Walker puts Canterbury ahead 1-0.
- Yellow card - A third booking for Canterbury as Okubo Yusaku is cautioned by referee Peter O'Leary.
Halftime: Canterbury 1 Hawke's Bay 0.
- Canterbury sub - Okubo off, Ryan Faichnie on.
- Free-kick by Hawke's Bay punched clear by Highfield.
- First shot by Faichnie crashes on to crossbar.
- Good build up by Bays ends with Fyfe pushing ball wide.
- Hawke's Bay sub - Jarrod Smith off, Stu Wilson on.
- Brockie is unable to finish off another good build up with the striker hitting the ball straight at Highfield who had just parried a cross by Fyfe into Brockie's path.
GOAL! 1-1 Brockie finishes easily after the Canterbury defence fail to clear ball.
- Yellow card - Tom Lancaster cautioned for Canterbury.
- Canterbury sub - Chris Morris off, Michael Fifii on.
- GOAL! 1-2 Canterbury loses the ball at back, allowing Sam Messam to give HBU a 2-1 lead.
- Hawke's Bay sub - Brockie off, Stu Hogg on.
- Hawke's Bays pressing forward looking for killer goal.
GOAL! 1-3 Leon Birnie seals it for HBU with drive from 20-metres out in front of goal.
- Final - Canterbury 1 Hawkes Bay 3.