ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap

AC News WU News WF News HB News YHM News TW News CU News OU News

YoungHeart Manawatu

Team Wellington


ASB Premiership - Week 10
Memorial Park, Palmerston North
Sunday 9 January, 2011


Jason HAYNE 75' pen, 90+2' pen

Hicham KAMRI 32'
Darren CHERITON 80'



Halftime:         0-2              Referee:                Nick WALDRON    Crowd: 175


Wellington winning streak gathers pace 

by Gordon Glen Watson at Memorial Park

PALMERSTON NORTH - There were five goals, two penalties and plenty of action as Team wellington made it five wins from five ASB Premiership matches after an entertaining 3-2 win over YoungHeart Manawatu in Palmerston North this afternoon. Image courtesy Photosport

The match started uncomfortably for Team Wellington with the home side creating two decent half-chances but when George Barbarouses slammed home a close range finish on ten minutes, the visitors nerves were calmed and the home side went into it's shell.

"We started well and took our chances early on but we lost our shape and composure," Team Wellington captain Karl Whalen said, "We were up against some pretty good opposition today."

Hicham Kamri - a striker in form - doubled Team Wellington's lead on the half hour mark when he buried a Scott Robson cross beyond goalkeeper Matt Borren.

With the match slipping away from their grasp, YoungHeart Manawatu produced its best spell of the first half when Jason Hayne latched onto a throughball, rounded goalkeeper Phil Imray but shot into the side netting from an acute angle with defenders arriving.

Hayne was in the thick of the action five minutes later when Michael White slipped a pass to the former Auckland City player only for Hayne to take an extra touch that allowed Team Wellington defenders to block his shot.

Team Wellington appeared to have put the game beyond YoungHeart's reach at the start of the second half when John Sutherland buried a bullet header past Borren from a clever Jamie Duncan cross only for the goal to be disallowed for offside.

Manawatu were still in recovery mode minutes later when Nathan Cooksley got a bad connection on a cross from wide on the right that forced Borren into an unusual one handed save with Sutherland again lurking close by.

The second half appeared to be going through the motions until twenty minutes from the end when Michael White appeared to be brought down in the penalty area on a Manawatu counter-attack.

Josh Chettleburgh picked up the loose ball and had two shots at goal, both saved by Phil Imray, as players from Manawatu remonstrated with referee Nick Waldron.

Five minutes later, White went down in the penalty area again, with referee Waldron this time awarding a clear-cut penalty that Jason Hayne comfortably converted.

Manawatu were in full flight but an intelligent pass by Wiremu Patrick found Darren Cheriton free, Cheriton nudging the ball beyond an exposed Borren to restore Wellington's two goal cushion with ten minutes to play.

But the home side were far from finished and Michael White spurned a decent chance from close range and earned the ire of the away support for his wastefulness.

With time ticking away, Manawatu were awarded a second penalty, Hayne once again the scorer with a carbon copy of his first effort.

Team Wellington captain Karl Whalen was pleased with the result.

"We scrambled at the end but we were lucky enough to get the three points. You get games like that. Sometimes on the edge of the box you have to make a decision whether to challenge or not, sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't. We got three points and we're confident," Whalen said.

YoungHeart's two goal hero, Jason Hayne, remained optimistic despite the defeat.

"Getting two goals is a plus for us - at the start of the season we were struggling to get one. But you can't concede three and win a game. Phil Imray made a couple of quality saves and it was a pretty even match. We have to keep our heads up and keep training hard," Hayne said, "It's a bit weird with three teams breaking clear and four or five stuck close together. If a team can string three or four wins together you can get close to the play-offs."

Stu Jacobs, Team Wellington's coach, was delighted with his team's fifth win on the trot and believes a spot in the OFC Champions League is a realistic target.

"Its a good result. We need to keep in touch with Waitakere and hopefully they fall away and we're there at the end. It's always tough after Christmas - it was a bit tight at the end but we got through," Jacobs said.

"Jason Hayne is a useful player and I think they were legitimate penalties, I've no problem with them. We need to make sure we get points against Auckland City and Waitakere and Canterbury - our goal is next season's O-League," Jacobs added.

YoungHeart Manawatu coach, Bob Sova, was disappointed not to take a point from an evenly balanced match.

"What can I say?! We should have got at least a point. Second half I felt we were on top but we conceded just after we scored which makes it difficult. We're pretty disappointed, we feel we should have had a draw. We had two penalties but might have had a third and maybe a player gets sent off," Sova said.

"Our youngsters try to play football - but there is a time to play, and a time not to play, and our young players haven't worked out when that is. We make mistakes and get picked off. I've had to make changes throughout the season and it would be good to have a settled lined up to address certain issues. Even though we lost we'll take a bit out of the performance," Sova said.

Team Wellington will assess the condition of John Sutherland and Tyler Lissette ahead of next week's match with Canterbury United.

Sutherland was withdrawn with a hamstring complaint and Lissette carried a head wound.

YoungHeart Manawatu travel to Napier to face provincial rivals Hawke's Bay United at Park Island next Sunday.


Team Sheet

YoungHeart Manawatu


Team Wellington

1- Matt BORREN (GK)

1- Phil IMRAY (GK)

2- Nobo ISHI

2- Scott ROBSON


3- Jamie DUNCAN

7- Jason HAYNE

7- Wiremu PATRICK  (CORNAND 84')

8- Nathan COOKSLEY

13- Karl WHALEN (c)

9- Michael WHITE

16- John SUTHERLAND (TADE 55')

10- Adam COWAN (c)

21- PomareTE ANAU (EAGER 68')

11- Hamish MacKAY

18- Darren CHERITON

17- Brook TOZER


18- Dale HIGHAM

24- Tyler LISSETTE

20- Willie HODGE (STEELE 84')

14- Hitcham KAMRI



15- Pablo MOYA

11- Michael FIFII

16- Michael FRASER

12- Emiliano TADE (SUTHERLAND 55')

19- Ben WILKES (GK)

25- Lance RAMAEKERS (GK)

25- Jono STEELE (HODGE 84')

9- Romain CORNAND (PATRICK 84')

4- Michael EAGER (TE ANAU 68')


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card

Play by Play


Welcome to Memorial Park where YoungHeart Manawatu take on Team Wellington on an overcast and mild day in Palmerston North.


GOAL! George BARBAROUSES scores with a right foot shot from close range that gave Matt BORREN no chance.


Team Wellington in total control so far. YoungHeart Manawatu look rocked by the loss of an early goal.


Team Wellington corner defended awkwardly by Manawatu - danger cleared for the home side.


The visitors dominating the midfield battle so far - YoungHeart still look tentative in the opening exchanges.


Manawatu launch a counter attack through Nobi Ishi but Team Wellington recover in numbers to snuff out the danger.


Matt BORREN pulls off a splendid save from a Hitcham KAMRI shot - it looked certain for the back of the net.


Wellington are bombing corners to the far post and Karl WHALEN wins a header for Tyler LISSETTE who fires in a powerful header that Matt BORREN fists over the crossbar - close again for the visitors...


Dale HIGHAM has the ball in the net for YoungHeart Manawatu but the flag is up for offside.


Jamie DUNCAN fires in a left foot shot but its high and wide of BORREN's right hand upright.


Raking 40 metre cross field pass by Wiremu PATRICK sets Scott ROBSON away but his final touch is too heavy and the threat to Manawatu ends harmlessly.


Team Wellington get numbers into the box but ROBSON's cross is overhit and his team-mates gesture frustratedly in his direction.


John SUTHERLAND throughball for Pomare TE ANAU forces Matt BORREN to race off his line and dive headlong at his opponent's feet. Quick thinking by BORREN, he does well.


Team Wellington work an intricate passing move involving Hicham KAMRI that results in a long range shot that Matt BORREN saves brilliantly.


Wellington coach Stu JACOBS calls for his team to lift the pace of the match. Interesting view with YoungHeart Manawatu sitting so deep in their own half. Not much room to exploit here for the capital men.


GOAL! Hicham KAMRI finishes off a Scott ROBSON cross to make it 2-0. CHETTLEBURGH received a short pass from Brook TOZER and ROBSON nipped in before speeding down the right and delivering the killer pass. Self-inflicted damage by the home side.


Wiremu PATRICK rifles a long range shot high, wide and handsome of the Manawatu goal.


Team Wellington look a team in total control, YoungHeart look a team short on confidence and experience so far.


Jason HAYNE breaks on the counter attack, Phil IMRAY flies off his line into no-man's land, HAYNE rounds him but fires his shot into the side netting with Team Wellington players descending on the open goal. That was a real chance for the Palmerstonians.


Josh CHETTLEBURGH cuts inside Scott ROBSON and threads a pass through for Dale HIGHAM who fires in a harmless effort that leaves Phil IMRAY untroubled in the Wellington goal.


Spectacular stuff by John SUTHERLAND - a cross floated in is touched by KAMRI, Adam COWAN gets a slight touch, SUTHERLAND attempts a scissor kick that just bobbles wide of goal by less than a metre.


Nathan COOKSLEY fires in a powerful volley from 25 metres but the shot is off target. Jason HAYNE and Josh CHETTLEBURGH have swapped sides of the park to try and change up YoungHeart Manawatu attacking options. Scott ROBSON v Jason HAYNE should be interesting.


Michael WHITE sets up Jason HAYNE but the former Auckland City and Waitakere United player takes one touch too many and Team Wellington get bodies in the way. A half chance for Manawatu.


Fourth official Alan PEDLEY says there will be 1 minute of time added on at the end of the first half.

HALFTIME: YoungHeart Manawatu 0-2 Team Wellington. Wellington hold the upper hand with a comfortable two goal cushion. The visitors are playing with plenty of confidence and look the stronger and more experienced of the two sides. YoungHeart Manawatu have created one or two half chances but they just lack a killer touch in front of goal.


Teams back out on the pitch, no changes sighted for either side. Referee Nick WALDRON appeared to be carrying an injury toward the end of the first half and fourth official Alan PEDLEY warmed up as a precaution. Whistles blows and we're underway.


Matt BORREN kick out is headed clear by the Wellington defence.


Manawatu coach Bob SOVA is clearly unhappy with how deep his team is sitting when goalkeeper Matt BORREN is clearing from his hands and he lets his charges know in no uncertain terms.


Hicham KAMRI takes on Nathan COOKSLEY and wins a corner. Hamish MacKAY clears with a header. George BARBAROUSES picks up the loose ball but in an effort to lash the panels off the ball he only manages to trundle a shot wide of the target.


Jason HAYNE works his way inside the Wellington defence and sees a shot deflected out for a corner. HAYNE takes it but Hicham KAMRI clears and Wellington counter attack.


John SUTHERLAND heads beyond Matt BORREN after a clever Jamie DUNCAN cross but the assistant referee has his flag up. Interesting call.


Jason HAYNE free-kick is claimed easily by Phil IMRAY.


Team Wellington cross is flicked at by Nathan COOKSLEY and Matt BORREN is forced into an unusual save with John SUTHERLAND lurking in the six yard box.


Jamie DUNCAN and Jason HAYNE clash in front of the assistant referee and referee Nick WALDRON is across to end hostilities. HAYNE's peach of a free-kick has no takers in a green shirt and Wellington clear their lines.


SUBSTITUTION - Emiliano TADE enters the game with John SUTHERLAND hobbling out of the action.


Emiliano TADE takes a quick corner and clips a wonderful ball in for Hicham KAMRI who directs a free header wide. KAMRI gives a wonderful and dramatic demonstration of frustration, pounding the Memorial Park surface.


Jason HAYNE and Nobo ISHI combine to set up Dale HIGHAM who fires a hand height half volley directly at Phil IMRAY who saves at point blank range. Aimed anywhere else apart from IMRAY and that was a goal. The Wellington defence were nowhere to be seen.


This match going through a trough at the moment. Team Wellington have eased up the tempo from the first half and YoungHeart Manawatu haven't found a way through yet.


YELLOW CARD - Wiremu PATRICK goes into the book for a foul


SUBSTITUTION - Team Wellington with a second substitution - Michael EAGER joins the fray as Pomare TE ANAU is withdrawn.


Dale HIGHAM is sent clear by a quick throw in and he leaves Wellington defenders in his wake before firing in a dangerous cross. Michael WHITE appeared to be bundled over in the box and there are calls for a penalty. Josh CHETTLEBURGH picks up the bits and Phil IMRAY saves twice from the youngster. Bob SOVA is raging. Stu JACOBS has a word to say and fourth official Alan PEDLEY is on hand to calm things down.


A Team Wellington counter attack breaksdown and the home side attack through Nobo ISHI. HAYNE joins in finds Michael WHITE and he is chopped down for a stonewall penalty.


GOAL! Jason HAYNE puts past Phil IMRAY to make it 2-1!


YoungHeart lay seige to Team Wellington's goal and who would bet against the home side making it 2-2 shortly. They've certainly got their tails up.


Commentator's curse. Team Wellington on the attack through Jamie DUNCAN but he overhits his cross so much the other overlapping fullback Scott ROBSON has to go and retrieve the ball near the corner flag.


GOAL! Darren CHERITON intelligently toe pokes a pinpoint Wiremu PATRICK cross beyond a helpless Matt BORREN. Surely that will break the home team down now. Romain CORNAND is warming up for Team Wellington - clue to the identity of Wellington's final substitution perhaps.


The match has become stretched with possession turning over constantly. Romain CORNAND is on hand to enter the match.


SUBSTITUTION - Romain CORNAND in for Wiremu PATRICK of Team Wellington.




Michael WHITE misses a gilt-edged chance bearly five yards out from Phil IMRAY's goal. What a missed opportunity. A few spectator's pay out on WHITE with the 'hee haw' cry.


YELLOW CARD - Adam COWAN goes into the book. Fourth official Alan PEDLEY indicates a further 2 minutes of time added on to be played.


PENALTY! Referee Nick WALDRON points to the spot and Jason HAYNE steps forward.


GOAL! Jason HAYNE repeats his penalty effort from 17 minutes ago and its 3-2. Nervous finish set up nicely here.


YoungHeart Manawatu manage one  more shot on goal but its a trundler that Phil IMRAY gathers comfortably.

FULLTIME: YoungHeart Manawatu 2-3 Team Wellington. Entertaining match and one the home side can be proud of in the end despite the result. Team Wellington surge forward in race for the play-offs and if Auckland City stay ahead in Christchurch there will be a comfortable gap opened up between the top three and the chasing pack.