ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap

AC News WU News WF News HB News YHM News TW News CU News OU News

Hawke's Bay United

Team Wellington


ASB Premiership - Week 8
Park Island, Napier
Sunday 12 December, 2010


Jarrod SMITH 13'
Andy BEVIN 35'

Hicham KAMRI 48'
Michael FIFI 80'
Emiliano TADE 88'



Halftime:          2-0             Referee:Peter O'Leary                        Crowd: 200


Bay edged by Capital comeback

by David Gearey at Park Island

Emiliano Tade is mobbed by team mates after his dramatic winner. PhotosportThere's no time to look away at Bluewater Stadium these days, because if you do you’re bound to miss something.

This time it was Hawke's Bay United and Team Wellington playing out a dramatic five-goal cliffhanger – edged by Wellington with an 88th minute Emiliano Tade strike – as goal number 18 was scored at Park Island from the four games there this season.

It was the old cliché of "game of two halves" as Wellington clawed back the home side who had raced out to a two goal lead midway through the 1st half.

"At half time I told the boys they have to go win the game again" said Matt Chandler, talking to his side as they went into the sheds two goals up over the visitors.

Earlier the home side had raced out to the lead with brilliantly taken goals from former All White Jarrod Smith and Andrew Bevin who was on target for his fifth of the season.

But it was just the opposite for Chandler’s men as they seemed to be mentally switched off when referee Peter O'Leary blew to commence the 2nd half.

Wellington's coach Stu Jacobs rang the changes at half time and introduced former Hawke's Bay favourite George Barbarbouses and Hitcham Kamri in search of a lifeline.

With the half only three minutes old it was one of Jacobs’ substitutions that guided the side from the capital straight back into the match as Kamri outpaced the Bay defence and then stroked a great finish past the hapless Richard Gillispie.

Both sides still had a lot to play for. Hawke's Bay were indeed chasing an elusive first ever home victory over Team Wellington and the visitors were looking for their third consecutive victory which would catapult them into the top four.

With 15 minutes remaining it was as though both teams had run themselves into the ground as possession was given away cheaply on numerous occasions and both coaches had used their quota of substitutions.

However Wellington seemed to find a little more in the tank and began to finish over the top of the home side.

It was on 80 minutes that Wellington drew level when a well taken corner was flicked onto the far post where Michael Fifi stood unmarked to nod home for the visitors.

Things went from bad to worse for Hawke's Bay when in the 88th minute Matt Hastings was involved in a heavy challenge and went down with a dislocated shoulder. Play carried on and Wellington found their winner through an unlikely substitute Emiliano Tade. 

Team Wellington coach was naturally pleased with his side’s come back after the match and paid credit to the way they responded.

"Big credit to my players as they had to dig deep today. They were very flat in the first half and they know that," Jacobs said.

Hawke's Bay's Matt Chandler was disappointed as expected with the result but very humble and positive in his reply.

"As a coach it is very hard to watch"

"But we are in a very good position and the response from everyone involved now has to be right" Chandler said.

Team Wellington leapfrogged Hawke’s Bay on the table and now sit in second while Hawke’s Bay slip out of the top four on goal difference with just a visit to a revitalised Auckland City to come before the Christmas break. Wellington are at home to Otago United.


Team Sheet

Hawke's Bay United


Team Wellington

1. Richard GILLISPIE (GK)

1. Phil IMRAY (GK)

2. Phil DORAN

2. Scott ROBSON

3. Marvin EAKINS (McIVOR 62')

3. Jamie DUNCAN


4. Michael EAGAR


7. Wiremu PATRICK

11. Cole PEVERLEY (MARTIN 75')

10. Michael FIFI

12. Andrew BEVIN

13. Karl WHALEN

14. Marama THOMPSON


18. Jonathon TAYLOR (c)

18. Darren CHERITON

23. Jarrod SMITH  (RANDE 87')

21. Pomare TE ANAU (KAMRI 45')

27. Peter DORAN




25. Shaun PETA (RGK)

12. Emiliano Tade (on 52')

13.Danny WILSON

14. Hitcham KAMRI (on 45') 

15. Joachim RANDE (on 87')

19 George BARBAROUSES (on 45')

20. Chris MCIVOR (on 62')

23. Ryan CAIN

22. Ryan MARTIN (on 75')

25. Lance RAMEKERS (RGK)


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card

Play by Play


EAGAR into the book for persistant fouls


GOAL. While there's techincal difficulties here at Park Island, no diffculties for Jarrod SMITH as he puts Hawke's Bay into the lead.  PEVERLEY played SMITH through with a superb long ball and the former all white puts the ball through IMRAY's legs for the opening goal of the game.


THOMPSON beats his man on the right and puts in a great low cross which just eludes SMITH.  Hawkes Bay pusing for a second


DUNCAN puts a ball across from the left. SUTHERLAND connects with a header on goal put referee Peter O'leary call him for the foul.


PEVERLEY wins a free kick on the corner of the 18 yard box. The resulting free kick is wasted as his ball finds no Bay players.


FIFI breaks down the left for Team Wellington. Puts a great low ball across the box but no one there for the capital side and another chance goes begging.


GOAL BEVIN grabs his 5th of the season and doubles Hawkes Bay's advantage when he gets on the end of a superb through ball by Peter DORAN.


Phil DORAN tries his luck from 25 yards but never trouble IMRAY in goal


The fourth official shows 1 minute of additional time.


HALFTIME HB2 Wellington 0

A few technical difficulties here sorry but hopefully we can start the 2nd half a bit better off.  Hawkes Bay dominating Wellington so far here at Bluewater Stadium


Stu JACOBS has rung the changes at halftime with Hicham KAMRI and George BARBAROUSES coming on for Pomare TE ANAU and Tyler LISSETTE 


GOAL. And the substitutions have worked straight away Wellington. KAMRI gets the ball and shows great pace to outrun the Hawkes Bay defence and slots cooly past GILLISPIE to get Wellington back in the game.


Another substitution for Wellington as Emiliano TADE comes on to the field for John SUTHERLAND.


Some great work by SMITH has Hawkes Bay steering down on the Wellington goal but Pete DORAN'S shot goes wide.


GILLISPIE comes off his line to claim a PATRICK free kick but he miss times it and has to back peddle and tip over for a corner.


HBU sub #20 MCIVOR on for #3 EAKINS


Wellington are right back in this game now and starting to create chances. Again it is KAMRI who breaks down the right and puts another low cross into the box but no one can get on to the end of it.


Almost another immediate impact by a substitute. Phil DORAN puts a great ball into the box for Hawkes Bay and Chris MCIVOR leaps like a salmon only to head straight at IMRAY who just does enough to save the ball on the line.


Another excellent chance for Hawkes Bay and this time it is BEVIN who superbly controls a long ball only to shoot just wide of the advancing IMRAY.


Both teams pushing for a goal with plenty of action at both ends.


Substitution for Hawkes Bay. #11 Cole PEVERLEY is replaced by #22 Ryan MARTIN who is making his ASB Premiership debut.


MCIVOR and SMITH exchange a nice one two which sees MCIVOR regather in the box but his cross goes over the bar for a goal kick


Hawkes Bay still have the majority of possesion considering Wellington are the side chasing the game.


GOAL Michael FIFI scores for Wellington after a corner by the visitors is flicked on and FIFI is the man in the right place to score the equaliser.


Final substitution for Hawkes Bay. #15 Joachim RANDE on for #23 Jarrod SMITH.


GOAL It is the substitutes at it again for Wellington and this time it gives them a deserved lead. KAMRI again shows his pace and feeds a great ball to Emiliano TADE who superbly slots under the advancing GILLESPIE.


Matt HASTINGS is stretchered off for Hawkes Bay after picking up an injury in the build up to the goal. With no substitutions remaining Hawkes Bay will have to play out the game with 10 men.


Referee Peter O'LEARY misses a studs up challenge on TAYLOR and the game threatens to heat up.


The fourth official shows 3 minutes of additional time.


DUNCAN gets played in to the box but THOMPSON does well to dispose him for a Team Wellington corner.


Late chance for Hawkes Bay as RANDE has a difficult shot on the angle and ends up pulling it wide of the upright.


FULL TIME. Hawkes Bay 2 v 3 Team Wellington.

Team Wellington have come from behind after being down 2-0 at halftime. Great comeback by the team from the Capital.